Ten Helpful Medical Transcription Tools
- File Management Software. Line counting, invoice creation and daily work logs. Do you have time to do all this and more? You don’t have to with management software. Research options and choose a program that meets your needs. It’s like having a personal assistant.
- Spell Checking Tool. Ensure the accuracy of your reports with a medical terminology spelling reference tool. Several comprehensive programs can be easily downloaded off the Internet for free.
- Electronic Medical Dictionary. A must-have tool for Translation Services UKcreating thorough and accurate medical reports. Get the electronic version and have instant access to definitions, pronunciations and illustrations.
- The AAMT Book of Style. Medical transcription has specific rules for punctuation, grammar and editing. Get the CD-ROM version for time efficiency and make sure your reports meet set standards.
- Encryption Software. Your medical reports will contain confidential patient data. Ensure your reports are transported over the Internet safely with encryption software.
- Antivirus Protection. Can you imagine unintentionally infecting clients with a computer virus? Protect yourself. Protect your clients. Purchase or download a free antivirus program. Most importantly, use common sense when opening email attachments – no antivirus program is 100% effective.
- Internet File Backup. There are several options for backing up your essential records and accounting information. One convenient option is off-site Internet backup. So if your computer crashes, your files are still be accessible by logging onto your online account.
- Paper Shredder. As a medical transcriptionist, you’ll need to master paper flow. Stay organized – shred unwanted paperwork right away.
- Internet Fax. Why tinker with a space consuming fax machine? Easily send faxes via email instead. Several companies offer basic, online fax programs for free.
- Professional Association Membership. Network, stay on top of industry news/trends and more. Association memberships are a beneficial career tool – especially if you work from home.
The Medical Transcription Process
Are you considering medical transcription training, but wondering how the medical transcription process works? Here’s a brief overview of what’s involved:
- A patient visits their doctor to discuss a medical problem/concern or for a check-up.
- The doctor examines the patient and may request lab tests or prescribe a treatment.
- After the patient leaves, the doctor uses a voice-recording device to record information about the patient’s appointment, ailment, prescriptions, etc.
- The doctor can record their findings in several ways. For example, the doctor may use the online recording services of a medical transcription firm, which will hold an oral report for a medical transcription professional to access at a later time.
- The medical transcriptionist accesses the report, listens to the dictation and transcribes it into the proper report format for the patient’s medical record.
- Once complete, the transcriptionist sends back the patient’s updated medical record to the doctor’s office.
- On the patient’s next visit, the doctor can access updated medical records and make sound decisions concerning their health and treatment – thanks to the hard work of a professional medical transcriptionist.